Friday, October 26, 2007

It's supercalifragilisticexpi....well, you know!

I've been teaching the 7th graders about copyright and plagiarism, which is always cause for discussion and outrage (what do you mean I can't put an entire Sheryl Crow song in my presentation?!). If you haven't seen it yet, this fantastic video from the Media Education Foundation is lots of fun and useful for discussing both copyright and fair use. (Thank you for finding it, Leah Lindemann!)



I'm not entirely sure how legal it is--speaking of copyright!--but TubeTV from Chimoosoft is a great little app for Mac users that allows you to download videos from YouTube onto your computer in a Mac-friendly format which you can then play on your iPod or AppleTV (does anyone have that???)...or keep on your computer to show students.

Finally, Naveed Ahmed posted a great resource on the Teacher/Librarian Ning, which provides links to thousands of newspapers from around the world.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this--i hadn't thought of using it at school when i first saw it this summer. I recently let students debate the Jammie Thomas felony charge about illegally downloading music. We blogged about it to at school. If you want the url, email me. Good stuff--opens a can of worms though-kids are angry that it is illegal to download from certain sites AND that this single parent has a 222K fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love the URL--and you're absolutely right about kids going nuts. Once I mentioned Limewire and the 12 year old who lost her life savings, kids went nuts!

    ReplyDelete